Monday, May 23, 2005

The Teacher's Lounge


The Teacher's Lounge, originally uploaded by PinthGarnell.

We did a live show Saturday night and reportedly it was a big success. It was a tough show, the first time we've done a live recording that wasn't just a series of sketches, but a full show with some semblance of a plot, just like a regular radio show. It was pretty cool, but it was hard. We met all week to get the script in shape and then rehearsed from 10:30am to showtime at 8pm. Thanks to everyone who came out and laughed so hard. I was looking at my script right up until showtime and luckily, I think, hit most of my lines. We did a pickup session after the show where we re-did a whole sketch I was in in which I played Brent Wickerman as a school driving instructor, taking the kids from pool to pool so I could hit on ex-students. When the sketch was done early in the show, I was done with it mentally. Then we had to re-do the entire sketch and I was kind of lost. We were cracking up during the re-rcording and it was real personal with audience being in on the process and laughing at things I forgot (like my shirt), which is probably why Greg Allen said it was his favorite part of the show. And then, just to throw a hitch in the show and give the audience a good old fashioned Schadenfreude moment, we stunted the end of the show where I screw up a line, then get in a fight backstage with the group. The fight spills out into the audience and then we hit Jumper by Third Eye Blind and we all make up. It's a really old sketch actually, but the great thing was it was so unexpected that not only did it work for new Schadenfreude fans (like the young kids in the front row!) but also longtime fans like Tommy Pritchard, who, when he realized that HE of all people had been duped, had a smile from ear to ear. It was pretty cool and I don't know who in the group I need to credit with that idea, but WHAT A GOOD ONE that may have made the entire show.

No comments: