Wednesday, June 1, 2005

THE CHILLOUT MOVIE


What a Crazy Teacher, originally uploaded by PinthGarnell.

I'm reinstating the chillout movie. The chillout movie was the movie you popped in every day when you got home from school. From the invention of the VCR through much of college I always had the chillout movie, throughout grade school my friends and I had a contest to see how long you could keep the same chillout movie, through how many successive viewings on successive days. My first chillout movie, and I think many people's was Fletch. Fletch was my chillout movie off and on, and my two different records were ten days straight and eleven days straight. If only I hadn't taken a break that would be my record setting movie, my record setting movie ultimately was Ghostbusters with 21 days straight, number two Lethal Weapon at 15. Breakfast Club is in there somewhere and to this day I can say all the words to the first fifteen minutes of Fletch and Breakfast Club. Ultimately the Ghostbusters record fell when Richard Jones discovered Summer School and clocked in 29 viewings.

Chainsaw? As in “Black & Decker?”
No, as in “Texas Massacre”

The only reason I bring this up is that Stephe, Sandy and I in the wake of Star Wars Episode III have been quoting a lot of Star Wars, but we only ever quote Episodes IV through VI for obvsious reasons. We’re now on a mission to get quotes from Episode I, II, and III into our lexicons. That means making Star Wars Episode I my new chillout movie. And by the way, it’s not as bad as you made it out to be in your mind. As one of our Episode III opening day viewers said: “It’s much more disappointing to thing about than it is to watch.” Plus it’s young Obi-Wan, how bad can it be?

No comments: