Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Observations on G.I. Joe while watching Season 1 Disc 1


Zartan!, originally uploaded by PinthGarnell.

Tomax and Xamot, the leaders of the Crimson Guard were this twins who ran a megacorporation and funneled all their money into Cobra. Imagine if the head of Dow was running the resitance in Iraq. Considering the G.I. Joe was made during Reagan and was all ra ra, we're American, and you suck, this is a pretty awesome fuck you to big business. The Crimson Guard doubly so because they all dress up as businessmen and live next to you in your neighborhood, even their wives don't know, but they're the elite of the elite with Cobra. And when these simple businessmen get the call they don the Crimson Guard uniform and go fight. It's taking the communist scare thing (your best friend could be a communist) but saying that businessmen ar the communists.

Mutt and Dusty let Duke out of some laser prison and he slaps them both low fives. awesome.

Is Mutt supposed to look like Burt Reynolds?

They use the word terrorist a lot. Back when it didn't mean anything.

Roadblock reminds me of my old roommate, especially when he gets angry and yells.

They sure find a use for the Bridgelayer, every episode they have a chasm that must be crossed. Which is funny, because I had the bridgelayer when I was a kid and never found one chasm for that useless toy.

I love how many characters there are, perhaps the best ensemble cartoon of all time? Althought they don't have the diversity of the characters from Transformers, they all had a lot of personality.

Snake Eyes is awesome, Storm Shadow is awesome, but Quick Kick was bullshit.

There are three types of men in this world, those who like Scarlett, those who liked the Baroness, and those who like Lady Jaye. To this day I am still a serious Lady Jaye guy.

I'm wondering why Alpine and Bazooka and Shipwreck are such prominent characters leading all the stories, as opposed to Duke who's the leader. And then I realize that these action figures were all introduced at the same time, they were probably new when this show was airing. Buy Shipwreck kids, look at all the cool stuff he does. I guess that would explain the bridgelayer as well.

Snake Eyes just breakdanced. Out of control.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Man oh man, this takes me back. Quick Kick was bullshit, but it was the Baroness, not Lady Jaye, that always got my 11-year-old motor running.

Fremodada said...

I've always has a thing for red heads. Hence Scarlett. I liked how Lady Jay had her top always unbuttoned. Plus, Scarlett dug Snake Eyes.

Yeah, Quick Kick was bad. But not as bad as Spirit being able to take on Storm Shadow. THAT'S Bullshit.

The best episode was the alternate reality where Shipwreck woke up and found he was living in perfect retirement with the rest of the Joes. Everyone told him he had amensia, but it was really a huge Corbra plot to get him to devulge some secret. There was another alternate reality where Cobra won the war - and all of the vehicle drivers (Clutch, Hal, Steeler) ended up staying to fight the war. Pretty intense.

Adam said...

I guess I could peg you as a Baroness type, Rob. I forgot to mention in my blog how much Zartan ruled. Seriously ruled. There are three real badasses grwoing up, Boba Fett, Soundwave, and Zartan. It might make a good teamup.