Monday, October 9, 2006

L.A. - Day 3!

Well I've started to normalize and face the fact that I'm living in L.A. Nothing has changed, I still have to find a job and an apartment, just in this new place that's going to be hard to get around in.

Priorities:
Job
Bike
Apartment
Car
Career

Saturday Night I went to a party in North Hollywood to send Pete Grosz back to Chicago (PLEASE go to the Screening room and watch Pete play Tim Schadenfreude in the video sending me off to L.A., easily the funniest thing I've ever seen) It was very Chicago-ey dive bar called The White Horse. Everyone commented that it was the exception in L.A. Bars, very divey and non-hip hip. To make it feel more Chicago it was filled with Chicagoans Jill Benjamin, Frank Caetti, Brendan Hunt, Craig Cackowski, and Rich Talarico.

North Hollywood is Little Chicago. I always thought that's where I'd move just because Schadenfreude lived there last November when we auditioned for Aspen and I really like it. It's the Wrigleyville of L.A., the first place you move, then realize how big of a cliche you are, then leave for the outlaying regions. Upright Citizen's Brigade has a Theatre in NoHo (yes, they call it that, everyone wants to be a New Yorker), it's very close the El (which I will continue to to call it) and it's centrally located to get around easily without a car. From what I've seen on Craigslist it looks like North Hollywood is still fairly cheap, a cramped studio goes for about $750-$800 a month, or more, of course. I don't care how cramped it is, I own nothing and I'm not really here for the fancy living...yet.

But I was not alone at the White Horse. I was accompanied by Bart Kias, one-half of the team of Kias/Chaffin - the world's most receptive hosts for my fledgling L.A. ass.

DSCN6721

And Mr. Matt Lenhart.

DSCN6720

Who I met in my college improv troupe, The Tower Players. Matt is now an editor for the Comedy Central TV show The Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show, which Pete and Rich wrote for and, given my history of redneck comedy, I would be pretty good at writing as well, Randy and T-Bones would get along well. I stopped by Matt's condo in Studio City and watched an unmixed raw edit of one of the premiere episodes, which was funny...and odd.

It has been a while since I saw Mr. Lenhart and boy has his condo gotten nice. The last time I saw him his Condo was full of the futon-type decorations that tend to fill one's apartment after college and Matt complained endlessly about revamping the place...when he got around to it.

DSCN6710

Well he did and obviously is suffering from some sort of Better Living ADD because he's now rebuilt his upstairs rooftop into a gorgeous redwood deck.

DSCN6707

Way to go Matt. Someday I, too, will not be living in my friend's spare bedroom and may even have an awesome view of the Hollywood hills from my rooftop deck.

DSCN6706

And then Bart, Matt, and I got stuck on the 101 from 1am to 2am, I think something exploded, maybe even a person, based on the smell.

DSCN6717

3 comments:

cenko said...

rock that shit, dude...

Justin K. said...

Tell Matt to relax with the seat belt in the back. Come on, I thought he was from here?

Fuckin LA.

LA RAy said...

just one correction... North Holywood is an actual town in "the valley" so technically you (and the White Horse) were not in NORTH Hollywood proper (which is know as NoHo.

its sort of like pronouncing Illinos "ILL-A-NOISE".. everyone thinks you are a rube from the stix

as for the seat belt.. some dude got busted with 880 pounds of blow in the back of his pickup for not wearing a seat belt so rememberr kids "its pays to be paranoid"