Monday, July 18, 2005

What I'm Doing Right Now

I'm calling business professionals and asking them if they'd like to invest in an independent film. That's what I do for a living. It's an amazing combination of glamorous and completely not. While the last film I raised capital for is being edited in New York as I speak and will be in theatres this fall and will probably do well, I am getting hung up on by secretaries. How do you convey to a secretary that you're not bullshitting? We actually do make movies, with people you'd know in them. Until the movie's out we are nobody and nobody cares. But that's the seventh ring of hell aspect to this job, even when it comes out and I'm still here, still trying to get people to take me seriously, the still won't. If it turns out to be Titanic when it's released this fall, I'll still have to coerce Judy the secretary, with as many small words as possible that her boss, with the liquid cash, may want to talk to me. Which ring of hell was it that they push the boulder up the hill, let it roll back down and then roll it up again? Yeah, that's the level of hell you get into when you actually get a lawyer on the phone. You pitch yourself, the company, the new movie, the old movie, and he thinks your joking. If you convince him to take a look at the investment. There is a 60% chance that that is the last time you will talk to him, you call every day, leave messages, and after a couple months, get the hint and give up. Of the other 40% you send info to, 5% of them will let you pitch them in a follow up call and ask questions and let you try to sell them. 4% will say no, 1% wil say yes, and half those that say yes will ever send their check. Welcome to indy film. Gotta go, the boulder just rolled back down the hill.

No comments: